Assignment Title: Recruitment of a Special Economic Zones (SEZ) Expert for the Ministry of Trade and Industries (MOTI) to Coordinate Industrial Parks and Other IP & SEZ-Related Activities.
The Project will be implemented through four Components, namely:
- Enabling Investments;
- Crowding-in investments;
- Accelerating Entrepreneurship and Micro Small and Medium Enterprise (MSME) Growth; and
- Project Management and Evaluation.
The objective of this assignment is to engage on a short-term basis with an IP/SEZ expert to provide technical and advisory support services to the Ministry of Trade and Industry for the establishment of Industrial Parks and Special Economic Zones and related programs in Ghana. The Expert will also assist in coordinating the implementation of GETP Component 2 activities under the Ministry. For the sustainability beyond GET-Project, the SEZ Expert will help the Ministry implement similar donor support programs towards Ghana’s Industrial Parks and Special Economic Zone development agenda after the completion of the GETP. Therefore, the Expert will equally be responsible for other donner support services within the Ministry with respect to the development of IP/SEZs.
- Duties and Responsibilities of the Consultant
- Assist in the preparation of a Concept Note and Implementation Manual for the establishment of Industrial Parks (IP) and Special Economic Zones (SEZs)
- Provide expert advice in the selection of locations for the establishment of IPs and SEZs.
- Provide technical direction in the design, preparation of specifications and cost estimates, preparation of implementation modules including road map for the establishment of Industrial Parks and Special Economic Zones program.
- Provide Technical Assistance in the Drafting of ToRs, Position Papers, investment layouts etc. for IP & SEZ related advisory studies and assignments.
- Technically assist the Procurement Unit of the Ministry in the selection, award of contracts in respect of IPs and SEZs program in Ghana.
- Supervise and make recommendations, when necessary, for revision of contracts to maximize ‘value for money’.
- Collaborate with the IP/SEZ Team to coordinate the activities of stakeholders for the achievement of the project objectives.
- Manage the complementary mechanism among the various initiatives of the Ministry e.g., IP/SEZ, 1D1F, SPX and Export Diversification for the achievement of the broad objectives of these initiatives including industrial development, job creation and improvement in livelihoods.
- Provide timely and problem-specific solutions to accelerate the implementation of the IP/SEZ project.
- Develop and implement programmes and strategies to attract tenants to the IPs and SEZs.
- Coordinate the Operations of MOTI-PIU to ensure activities being implemented by MOTI TIAs are in line with the Ministry’s policy directions and priority areas.
- Provide technical assistance for the smooth Coordination of GET Project Component 2 activities at MOTI.
- Assist the Ministry to coordinate the work of the IP/SEZ Technical Working Group.
- Support the coordination and the implementation of activities at the Greater Kumasi Industrial City Project and Special Economic Zones
- Coordinate with MOTI-IP&SEZ staff in the performance of key duties with respect to GKICP to ensure synergies with other Zones for complementary services rather than competitions among zones.
- Participate in building and implementing the Projects concept and approaches as part of the overall implementation of IP&SEZ Projects.
- Conduct consultations with representatives of major stakeholders.
- Provide consultations to the team of the national experts on the subject matter.
- Provide an overview of international experience in establishing special economic zones, indicating successful and unsuccessful mechanisms, approaches and their analysis in the context of and its development agenda.
- Draft presentations for briefing of the Chief Director/Minister.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Minister.
- Competency and Expertise Requirement
The candidate must be a very experienced person with at least ten (10) years post qualification working experience in both the public and private sectors. Must have the following:
- Strong academic background in macroeconomics, international economic relations, international trade and/or other relevant fields.
- At least five (10) years must be at a Managerial position preferably in the public or private sector.
- At least 7 years of work experience in developing and transition economies.
- The candidate should work with little or no supervision.
- Advanced Degree relevant fields including Project Management, Public Policy, Business Administration/ Management, Finance, Economics, or any other related fields.
- Experience with SEZ establishment and operations.
- Experience in interacting with senior policy makers will be an asset.
- Ability and willingness to work against tight deadlines.
- Professional experience in supporting and providing technical assistance to public institutions,
- Experience in working with Donor Funded projects. Working experience with the World Bank will particularly be an added advantage,
- Experience of having worked with public and private institutions in Ghana.
- Experience in handling complex organizational issues.
- Excellent writing, editing, and communication skills in English.
- Computer proficiency; and
- Good interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills.
The Expert will report through Chief Director to the Minister and also work with the World Bank Team on the project. He/she will regularly share monthly and quarterly reports with the GET-PCU and other Donor Agencies involved in the invention areas.
- Duration of Assignment
The appointment will be for an initial period of twenty (24) months, with the possibility of an extension subject to satisfactory performance.
- Required Documents
The application should include the following documents:
· An updated CV
· Copies of relevant diplomas (university degrees, etc.)
The detailed Terms of Reference (ToR) for the assignment can be found at the following website: https://www.mofep.gov.gh or obtained at the address and emails given below.
The Consultant will be selected in accordance with Individual Consultant Selection Method as set out in the Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers (Procurement in Investment Project Financing Goods, Works, Non-Consulting and Consulting Services [July 2016 Revised November 2017 and August 2018).
- Submission of Expressions of Interest
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours 9:00 am to 4:30 pm local time.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below in person, or by mail, or by email by April 21, 2023.
The Project Director
Ministry of Finance
Box M40, Accra, Ghana
Attn: Procurement Specialist
Ghana Economic Transformation Project Office,
Valco Trust House, Second Floor, Conference Room
Ambassadorial Enclave, Castle Road Ridge - Accra
Tel: +233- 24740- 4444
Digital Address: GA – 052 -7763