Mandate of NREC
The Unit oversees, coordinates and manages financing of and support to natural resources, and climate change and green economy activities.
Further, the Unit is established to coordinate all forms of support (domestic and international) to climate-change-related activities in Ghana. This is to avoid potential overlaps and potential duplication of efforts and above all to distribute resources to where they are most needed.
The Unit also facilitates the mainstreaming of climate change and green economy issues into national planning to promote sustainable development.
NREC Function and Responsibilities
- Advice on climate change and green economy issues and policies.
- Collaborate effectively with relevant stakeholders for the development and implementation of climate change, green economy and environmental policies, programmes and projects in the country.
- Facilitate the process of climate and green sensitive budgeting that promotes transparency and accountability in public finance management
- Monitor and analyze budget performance of MDAs in respect of climate change and green economy programmes and or projects.
- Track and build a database of climate funds disbursed by Development Partners (DPs) and other sources and received by MDAs/MMDAs to be reported to the UNFCCC during the annual Conference of Parties (COPs).
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders in resource mobilization for implementation of climate change and green economy policies, programmes and projects in the country.
- Serve as a frontier for managing both domestic and international climate change assistance.
- Assist with the development of policies and reforms that promote transparency and accountability in natural resource governance or management