Accra, Monday, 21st January, 2019…. The newly reconstituted Economic Policy and Coordinating Committee (EPCC) has held its maiden meeting on Wednesday, January 16, 2019.
2. The EPCC is a high-level technical committee mandated to provide strategic policy direction for effective coordination and implementation of Government’s economic programme and budget.
3. The reconstitution of the EPCC is part of a broader Government strategy to institute irreversible structures to ensure the consolidation of macroeconomic stability.
4. The membership of the newly reconstituted EPCC comprises very senior officials from the Ministry of Finance (MoF), Bank of Ghana (BoG), Controller and Accountant-General’s Department (CAGD), Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) and Ghana Statistical Service (GSS).
5. The first meeting was co-chaired by the Deputy Minister for Finance in charge of Finance, Hon. Charles Adu Boahen and the 1st Deputy Governor of Bank of Ghana, Dr. Maxwell Opoku-Afari.
6. The deliberations of the Committee at its maiden meeting, were centered primarily on reviewing the Terms of Reference (TOR) of the EPCC, the recent economic developments, 2019 budget implementation strategies, and the status of the IMF Extended Credit Facility (ECF) Programme and the exit strategies for the Fund Programme.
7. The Committee also considered the need to constitute various sub-Committees/working groups to focus on specific areas of the economy. Consequently, various tasks have been assigned to technical teams to be executed and reported on at the next meeting of the Committee.
8. All the members of the EPCC have committed to forge closer collaboration and timely sharing of relevant information to guide effective decision making and policy advise.
9. Also present were the 2nd Deputy Governor, Dr. Elsie Addo-Awadzi, Mr. Michael Ayesu (Coordinating Director), Dr. Alhassan Iddrisu (Director, Economic Strategy and Research Division) both from the Ministry of Finance, and Mr. Phillip Abradu-Otoo (Director, Research Department, BOG) and the Controller and Accountant General, Mr. Eugene Ofosuhene, as well as Directors and Technical Officers from the member institutions.
PUBLIC RELATIONS UNIT, MINISTRY OF FINANCE
THE NEWS EDITOR